Thursday, July 26, 2012

Joy in a Box

Yesterday, I came home to find that I had a package waiting for me at the post office. Not sure what to expect, I headed over to see what awaited me there.

An aside on the New York City Postal System: I remember when I first moved here, and I was applying to graduate school, I spoke with an old professor to ask him for a letter of recommendation. I laughed to myself when he agreed but insisted that he was going to send two copies; one to the school and one to my home address. He had lived in New York City for many years and informed me that the postal system was one of the most inefficient bureaucracies he had ever encountered. I received both letters with no problems and really wondered what he was talking about. As the years have passed, however, I have come to see what he meant about the postal system here. From a postal carrier who reminds me of Newman (for those who have seen Seinfeld), to letters that just never seem to get where they were supposed to go, I will probably be one of those people who eventually mails two copies of things to two different New York City addresses as well.
Beyond the inefficiencies within the postal system, there are the post office experiences themselves. People who do stand-up comedy should go sit in the post office for an hour each day and they will have no shortage of material. Crazy people and inefficient postal system aside, post offices are some of the most beautiful places here in the city though.
Image Via usps.com


So, back to my package retrieval...

To my great delight, after waiting in line, I was handed a beautifully gift wrapped box from my dearest friend who lives out in California. I had so much fun opening this when I got home, that I have decided to appropriate her ideas so that you too can generate as much fun as I had opening a package! So, the next time that you want to make someone's birthday, anniversary, graduation, or other special occasion, feel free to use these tips!

Step One: Pretty Paper: Since most packaging is brown, functional, and durable, sometimes it is fun (and enthusiasm generating!) to receive a package that is colorful and gift wrapped.
Step Two: Include a Fun Card: My friend carefully taped a card to the front of the box with my name and address on it, but it really doesn't matter where the card goes as long as there is one. I laughed at the humorous card and cried at the sentiments within the card and was totally touched before I even opened the package itself.
Step Three: Pile on the Festivities: Inside the box, scatter bows, sequins, glitter, ribbons, etc. It was unexpected and fun to dig through a pile of festive materials in pursuit of what was in the package.


My friend's tactic was simply to 
scatter a million of these in all different 
colors across the top! So fun, right?!
Step Four: Use Color. Nothing is more fun than a colorful package! Colorful wrapping, colorful bows, you name it. Color is uplifting and joyous!
Step Five: Functionality Still Matters: Don't focus so much on fun design that you fail to properly package fragile materials. My friend sent me breakables and therefore it was key that amidst all of this fun, there was bubble wrap...

Step Six: Send with Love...Your hard work will bring a smile to the recipient's face and, at least in my case, it will totally make their day! :)

Happy Thursday!




No comments:

Post a Comment