Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Character Contempt

I am not sure if any of you were Six Feet Under fans. Personally, I was addicted to the show. Despite my love of the series, I cannot say I felt the same affinity towards the characters in the show. At various points throughout the show, I actually HATED each and every one of the characters. Ruth, the mother's constant repression of all of her emotions. The oldest son, Nate, who practiced a form of constant escapism whenever the going got tough. The middle child, David's relentless pursuit of perfection and approval at the cost of a level of self sacrifice bordering on martyrdom. Claire's need for completion in the form of low life boyfriends. Again, I really loved the series. That's the funny thing about plots that grip you...you don't always love the characters.


This was similar to my experience reading the current New York Times best seller Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. One of my friends, who shares my love of reading, recommended that I read this novel and, I must admit, I couldn't put it down. It is a mystery, but one that definitely keeps you guessing, with plenty of red herrings to throw you off. That said, it was one of those novels where, at some point, throughout reading, I experienced intense hatred of all of the major characters.

It was a fun read though and one I wouldn't skip this summer. Just be prepared to love the plot and hate the characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment