Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Hating on" Birthdays

I hate birthdays. Actually, let me qualify that statement. I love other people's birthdays. It's my own that I can't stand. This stems from a variety of factors. Before my 21st birthday, birthdays were merely numbers ticking by until I would be an adult; fully capable of entering bars. Sad, yes, I know. It was a different time in life. Ironically, when I turned 21 I was in London where they don't institute drinking ages like the United States. Every birthday after 21 became a contemplative philosophical exercise in the analysis of time in which I would measure how "far" I had come (or not), as though lives can be measured in linear units of calculation. Beyond this, there was the expectation. For some reason, I began to equate what kind of birthday I had with what kind of year I would have; this strange exercise in superstition was highly overwhelming. And then, somewhere around 27, I decided to just stop counting. To the point where honestly, there would be times when I sincerely would ask M., how old am I? Perhaps, this will be the time later in life that I pinpoint to the moment of Alzheimer's onset...That's a scary thought and one I won't indulge.

All of my birthday hating aside, I have to say, yesterday made for a wonderful birthday and if I measure birthdays in how many amazing people I have in my life, I am so lucky and for that I am so grateful.

After a rocky birthday morning start (I covered summer school-yikes), followed by an afternoon terrorizing thunder storm, I was about to say let's reschedule all celebrations to Friday. Luckily, M. forged on and I had an amazing birthday night! After coming home to an array of thoughtful and lovely birthday cards, my mood was considerably lifted, and M's night plans really made the day so special. On my list of favorites:

Thoughtful cards and gifts: I really had some hugely thoughtful gifts this year and it is always touching to see the effort (and humor) applied when people give gifts. My mom got me a lovely suitcase for all of my travels; can't wait to use it on my upcoming trip to France, Ireland, and Scotland! M. got me an array of thoughtful bath products and materials from my favorite place: Paper Source! M.'s mom made me laugh because one her gifts to me was that she made me an apron--yes, to cook in! Who knows, maybe this will actually be the year that I learn to cook...
The cuvee rose brut with which I toasted to another fabulous year...
The latin restaurant where we dined: Latin American food is always something that makes me think of M. One of the best trips we ever went on was to South America and whenever I have certain foods, I think of that trip.
While this picture makes it look totally unappetizing, my fish was delicious! 
The romantic stroll around my favorite New York City neighborhood: I love the West Village and, while the afternoon storm certainly left its mark, it made for quiet streets and a lovely late evening stroll...
The end of evening duck into Flex Mussels for my favorite combination--coffee and salted caramel donuts with vanilla bean dipping sauce:
The fact that it was the birthday of the dessert--four to be exact. Over indulgent? Absolutely. But what are birthdays for?!
Currently Reading: India Becoming: A Portrait of Life in Modern India by Akash Kapur. I love autobiographies. They are often the format through which the most revealing social commentary emerges.
Happy Thursday Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had such a wonderful birthday! That M. knows how to treat you well! Clinking a virtual glass of rose to with you!

    ReplyDelete