Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer in the City

For the first time in many years of living in New York City, I am staying primarily in the city over the summer. This is a daunting prospect as I a.) get bored really easily b.) hate the heat and c.) view summers as sacred travel time. August is still up in the air in regards to travel plans, but I know that in July as I wallow through two graduate school classes, I will be here in the city. With the same fervor that I would imagine many moms apply to crafting and executing summer plans for their children over the summer, I have a devised a summer schedule that will ensure that I do not complain about being in the city this summer and make sure that I do not drive M. crazy.

Here are my plans so far:
Coney Island: Yup. I am doing it. I have never been. I have a well-known aversion to hour long subway rides. That said, the lure of The New York Aquarium's 4D movie theater, the spectacle of Coney Island, the boardwalk food, and the prospect of riding "The Cyclone" is enough to make me want to head there at least once this summer!

The Ferry to Greenpoint to have Seafood at The Lobster Joint: Now that I have discovered the East River ferry service, I plan to make extensive use of the waterways this summer. I will definitely head to the old standbys, Brooklyn Flea and Smorgasburg, via the water taxi, but one place I have not yet been, but plan to go this summer is Greenpoint, Brooklyn where I will eat some New England style seafood at the new(er) restaurant The Lobster Joint. Yum!
Midsummer Night Swing: Although I will avoid the Lincoln Center area as much as possible this summer since I work over there and have seen quite enough of it this year, thank you very much, I will make one exception when I head over there for the dance lesson followed by live big band dance music at the annual outdoor dance party. Can't wait to pretend I'm the Ginger to my Fred...

Shakespeare in the Park: Not-to-be-missed! This is always one of my favorite summer activities in New York City. While I think that I have seen As You Like It enough times to last me a lifetime, I am very excited to see Into the Woods!

Make Music New York: Tomorrow I am heading to this outdoor music extravaganza, which will take place at different locations all over New York City. My coworker's boyfriend is the brains behind this music festival and I am excited to sample some of the musical acts and interactive endeavors that are a part of this public music festival! My friend has already informed me that one of the musical acts at the lake at Central Park will involve a bunch of Morgan Stanley bankers rowing boats filled with musicians performing Alvin Curran's Maritime Rights. Should be interesting, to say the least!

Accomplice: My friend went to this awesome scavenger hunt/New York tour/game a few weeks ago and said it was so much fun. I think that, for my July birthday, I am going to gather a group of people to engage in this activity. That would definitely be a memorable way to spend my birthday!

The Bryant Park Summer Film Festival: I plan on making a picnic, gathering some friends and heading out to watch a film at sundown on the green of Bryant Park. Roman Holiday is my first choice...I adore Audrey Hepburn!

This ought to keep me busy...

Well, M. and I are off to grab some Thai food. Right now in New York City, it feels hotter than Bangkok. Let's just hope this is not indicative of the summer weather that lies ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment