Monday, June 11, 2012

Happy Monday

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that this weekend was relaxing, but it was definitely fun. Friday, I raced home from work and did some errands that I needed to get done, packed, and jumped on the train to Connecticut to stay at my friend's house in anticipation of "The Warrior Dash" Saturday morning.

We woke at 6 AM and jumped in the car to go meet our other friend, who is, incidentally, the most efficient person I have ever met. She actually used to time herself drying her hair and subsequently try to beat her best times. And that little anecdote just scratches the surface! When we woke up Saturday morning and stumbled our way into the car to go get coffee, my friend N. and I joked that our other friend had probably already been up for two hours and had worked out and baked cookies. And, trust me, that it is not that off base! Anyway, we met up and continued our drive for another hour and a half whereupon we arrived at the most neglected part of the state to partake in the obstacle littered race. After meeting up with my efficient friend's sister, we sized up the course, which looked quite intimidating. My pictures do not do it justice. 
I realize that those "flames" do not look scary at all, but I assure you, pictures can be deceiving! 
After taking some pre mud covered photos, we were off! The course was actually so fun and we had a blast! We are already planning our strategy for next year, which will definitely include team costumes!

After the race, we drove two hours back to my friend's house where I jumped on the train for another hour and half and came home exhausted. I also decided that I was so tired that I just wanted to get home thereby convincing myself that it was a good idea to get on the train un-showered after an event that ended in a mud pit. I cannot even begin to tell you the looks that I got in Grand Central when I arrived. 

After crashing on the couch for two hours in sheer exhaustion, we headed out for dinner at a local place we love where the best part of the meal was definitely the appetizer; crab cakes with mango, fennel, and cilantro salad. Delicious. 

Sunday involved a very short run, a lovely morning coffee, a manicure and pedicure to remove the mud lodged under my fingernails, a trip to get new (NEON!) sneakers (since my sneakers from the race did not fare well in the mud pit!) and an evening dinner with M. and his dad at another local place that has an awesome Sunday night special comprised of mussels, fries, and a draft beer...a delicious way to close the weekend!
The interior of a local restaurant; repurposed wood, fresh tulips, and beer that arrived in mason jars=love...
On the reading front: I just finished a light beach read that was perfect for quick Sunday night reading completion. The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service by Beth Kendrick is adorable and, while I know I have a severe dog book genre affliction, this book really would appeal to a much broader audience. Loved it for those times when you are tired and just want to read something light and fluffy...
Here's to a lovely week!

No comments:

Post a Comment