Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Must See Movies

I promised my sister a list of must-see-movies for a group that she is organizing at her library (her job is so cool), so I decided why not turn it into a blog post??!

I am sure that many would disagree with the films that make my list; however, I love these movies and think that they deserve to be seen by all.

If you can screen them on a rooftop at night, a backyard under the stars, or a cozy night on the couch with people you love... even better!

So...
In no particular order...

The New World Okay, so while Terrence Malick films are definitely not for everyone (I was once in a theater to watch Tree of Life and people were actually complaining out loud and walking out), they definitely push your thinking and the cinematography often stuns and impresses viewers. This particular film is a whole new take on Pocahontas--Say goodbye to your Walt Disney crafted versions!
A Single Man: An achingly powerful story of love and of loneliness.
The Garden: An inspiring (while simultaneously depressing) documentary about a community garden.
Precious Knowledge: I love this documentary--evidenced by the fact that I have seen it three times. A must see, especially for educators.
Bulworth: I first saw this screened at the Museum of Moving Image (You absolutely must visit this Queens museum if you have not before). The film is hilarious and poignant and provokes great discussion on race and politics.
The Visitor: A film that is, at its core, about immigration, but beautifully weaves in so many other thought-provoking themes. A must-see!

There are obviously so many others, but this list is a start!

Happy Viewing! 

1 comment: