Sunday, June 3, 2012

June Blooms

After a work week of extreme heat and humidity, this weekend was a welcomed and gorgeous reprieve. Luckily, I had plans this weekend that allowed me to take full advantage of the beautiful weather. Friday, after work, my co-workers and I ran out of the building and headed over to a local Mexican restaurant to sit outside at the street side tables. The sun was warm, the tacos spicy, and the margaritas sweet. A lovely way to end the work week. From here, I headed over to another co-worker's house who was throwing a going-away party for a colleague who is leaving. She has an amazing rooftop and it was so peaceful to sit far above the city and munch on what was hands down the best homemade biscotti I have ever had.

Saturday, after a morning yoga class and a long run, I met up with M. and we headed to a local street fair. All of Third Avenue was shut down and filled with people, makeshift shops, and food vendors. Naturally, I needed to get a gourmet hotdog. Good thing I went for a run that morning! From here, we walked over to The Met where we raced immediately up to the roof deck to take in an incredible sunset. As I sipped on my wine and walked around the awesome sculptural exhibit, taking in the view of the city with the sun setting softly on one side of the park and the moon growing increasingly illuminated in the other side of the park, I was reminded how much I love this city. After the roof deck closed, we headed down to see the newest Picasso exhibit and also the Islam exhibit that I have been meaning to see for a couple of months now. Both were cool, though nothing beats the roof deck! 
The View from the Roof of The Met: Moon to the East/Sunset to the West
From here we walked uptown to grab some food. I had the most delicious fish tacos. Fish tacos are a favorite of mine--especially in the summer! On our walk home we stopped at 16 Handles, a frozen yogurt shop where you select your ice cream out of 16 flavors and then dish your own toppings. Yummm...
On the first Saturday of every month, there are often deals to be had at a variety of New York City museums. As part of a free admission event, we made our way over through Central Park to the west side today to visit a favorite museum of ours, which was premiering an exhibit on the history of beer brewing, consumption, and advertisements in New York City. At the end of the exhibit there was a makeshift bar with local beers and pretzels!
The Ramble in Central Park: It's almost like being in the country... 
At the New York Historical Society 
Beer Hall in a Museum? That's Gotta Be a First!
A Purchase from the New York Historical Society Museum Store: Notebook Made By Galison 
Closing the afternoon with a stop at a local creperie for some sweet and savories and a nice foamy cappuccino, I would say that this was my kind of weekend! This week marks the last full week of school (well, at least school with students), so we are in the home stretch! Can I get an "Amen!??"

Happy Monday to Everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment