Monday, June 4, 2012

New York at Night

Whenever I think of walking in New York City at night, I think of old Woody Allen films. His love letters to New York City as embodied in his scripts always seem to capture my sentiments as I walk this city at night. Last night, M. and I headed out for a walk around the neighborhood; the breeze was cool and it felt like fall, the moon was nearly full lending a romantic air to the city streets, and, apart from the random rat skittering across the sidewalk, this New York night was the New York night of movies. 
Moon Over the East River 
"Buildings and Bridges are Made to Bend in the Wind"
Cars in Motion
Ahhh yes...New York at Night is Lovely...
This afternoon (by light of day!) I met up with a friend to share a pot of mint tea and catch up on the comings and goings of our lives. I met my friend when we were both English teachers at the first school where I started teaching. She served as my unofficial mentor teacher and I learned so much from her. Anytime I meet up with her, one of the things that we are always sure to do is exchange favorite recent reads. I have had some great recommendations from her over the years. Her latest recommendation did not disappoint: Jennifer Egan's short story "Black Box" in the recent issue of The New Yorker was awesome. Find it here...

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment