Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Opportunities for Educators

Some of my best teacher experiences have happened because of word-of-mouth recommendations about various programs and opportunities. One of my friends who received a Fund for Teacher's grant (A totally amazing summer opportunity that allows teachers to create a plan for something he or she wants to do over the summer--oh, and this program funds it!), passed along information about NEH, or the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Through NEH, I went to study Steinbeck out in California a few years ago and will leave in less than a week to participate in my second NEH grant, which will hopefully be just as awesome! The NEH programs are amazing not only because of the content taught or the field trips planned for participants, but also for the caliber of people to whom you are introduced at these programs. Case-in-point, my roommate for the Steinbeck program is not only someone who I befriended at the program, but we have gone on to stay in touch and even co-taught together in Cambodia!
So, for any teachers out there looking for great summer opportunities in the future, check out NEH!

Currently Reading: Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending...I'll report back, but so far, so good.
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment