Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Book Club

Do you belong to a book club?
I have done several book clubs over the past few years. The most successful was one that I did with a group of English teachers from various schools around New York City...hmm...I wonder why? We would take turns hosting, make brunch, and discuss the "assigned" book.  It was through this book club that I read some really great books that reflected the variety of people within the group.  Some favorites were: Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking; a depressing read but also a fascinating look at grief. 
Richard Russo's Empire Falls; an excellent read....
Another favorite was Zadie Smith's White Teeth; awesomeness...so good.
This summer I am in another book club--also filled with nerdy English teachers. I am looking forward to our first read: Crime and Punishment! Nothing like a little Dostoevsky to get the summer rolling...
Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment