Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ikebana

One of the (many) things that I love about New York City is the presence of flowers; while we might not boast the natural flora of other places, it does often seem that we are surrounded by flowers.  From Central Park to flower shops, flowers are abundant--especially in the warmer months.  Since flowers at my local corner markets are inexpensive and ever-present, I find myself buying flowers far more often than I ever did when I was living elsewhere.
This week I have been experimenting with flowers in one of my favorite colors: fuchsia.  The art of flower arranging is supposed to be very soothing and truly I have found it so as I carefully arrange each flower until it finds its potential within the cluster.  This week's flowers I centered in a tall, clear, glass vase and placed it in the middle of an intricately embellished gold mirror that I found at a flea market years ago.  I love the complementary warm tones of the gold and the deep, bright pink and the lovely refreshing color of the deep green stems.  Lovely...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment