Monday, June 20, 2011

Slacker

Last week was so busy that I only posted once...yikes! I am slacking. I will make up for it with multiple book recommendations...
Next week I am off to Thailand, which I am incredibly excited about. I cannot wait to roam the markets of Bangkok, cross something off the old bucket list after my long anticipated visit to Elephant Nature Park, head to the "spiritual heart" of Thailand via the temples of Chiang Mai, and take in the spectacular views of the Phi Phi Islands...
As I finish the end of a very hectic school year, I am looking forward to lounging on the beach and reading some good books.  Since I have made the switch to the nook (though I still fret over the eventual loss of the print medium), I am also excited about the fact that I will be able to "carry" multiple books with me without lugging tons of extra weight.  That said, I will miss the traveler's thrill of trading books with fellow travelers. 
Here are some of the books that I plan to bring...keep in mind that I often adhere to the "beach read" genre while on vacation!
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
I love Ernest Hemingway and I am pretty sure that I will love the story of his great love just as much as him... 
Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein.
One of my favorite fictional characters is Enzo from The Art of Racing in the Rain and I am hoping that I will also fall in love with the plot of his newest novel...
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown.
Ok, so while its recommendation comes from People magazine...I think it will be a fun beach read, which on a Thai island sounds like just the thing :) Plus, I kinda love the cover.
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
I am planning to teach this book next year and need to read it since the last time I picked it up was back in high school...
If anyone else has other recommendations please pass them along! I am going to tear through books on the 25 + hour plane ride alone--and then there is no greater joy than an amazing novel when your toes are in the sand... 
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment