Tuesday, June 21, 2011

First Day of Summer

Ahhh...summer has officially begun! While fall has always been my favorite season because of the weather, the seasonal produce, halloween, and the changing leaves, I must say that, as a teacher, summer has made a rapid ascent in my seasonal favorites pecking order.  Apart from the time off and the travel time that summer affords me, there are some other things about summer that I just can't get enough of...
I remember strawberry picking with my mom and sisters when I was little. We would take a hayride out on the farm and pick fresh, juicy strawberries that my mom would magically turn into strawberry bread when we got home.
Kayaking in the summer is the best. Near where I grew up there is a great kayaking place down a refreshingly cool river. I remember a million summers ago, my friend and I shoddily attached the kayak to the roof of her dad's car and went for a paddle down the Farmington.  It was a cool, summer day and the sun streamed through the trees beautifully as we made our way along. I am looking forward to kayaking a lot this summer! First, around the Phi Phi Islands of Thailand and then around Vancouver Island in British Columbia...
Reading a great book in a hammock in the shade. If you're ever in Montezuma, Costa Rica my favorite hammock reading spot is at the Amor de Mar.  Completely laid back and unpretentious, this little spot has ocean views, a tasty breakfast and relaxing hammocks scattered across the property.
Travel...but of course!
Going to the beach and staying until that amazing point in the day when the sun is soft and the breeze is cool...
Yes, welcome summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment