Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Update

A couple weekends ago, I went to see King Lear at BAM in Brooklyn.  The woman who came to sit next to me had a service dog with her who skillfully navigated altitude-sickness-inducing seats and narrow rows packed tightly with a "full house" of people there to see King Lear descend into madness.  The dog sat patiently, doing his job, protecting his owner as she watched the show.  I am in awe of service dogs.  Really, I am in awe of all dogs...their compassion, boundless capacity for love, their wagging tails...I digress.  Humans coexist with them on many levels (sometimes strangely); they are workers we rely on, companions we love, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan-they are dinner dates at restaurants.
Last summer, in Cambodia, we were driving to an orphanage on the border of Thailand to spend time teaching the children there English. Samnang, who is one of the most compassionate people I have ever met, was driving and I was sitting in the middle seat of the van.  As we drove along pot-holed dirt roads at a speed I thought impossible for that terrain, a "street dog" ran out in front of the van. Samnang kept going barreling towards the mutt. I heard the impact. I screamed and began to sob unable to control what, for me, was an instant reaction.  Our program advisor turned around and yelled at me while Samnang looked in the rearview mirror at my tear streaked and contorted face with a look of pain and regret.  While I understood why Samnang had to keep going straight as he drove a van filled with people down a treacherous road, I often think about that dog back in Cambodia.

Last week I mentioned that I had started reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.  Everyone must read it--even non-dog lovers. I am in love with the characters, the writing, the dogs...LOVE.  In honor of the amazing dogs in this novel, I want to explore dog friendly places in New York City.
Here are my top 5 (there are obviously millions more!) dog friendly things to do in a city that--though insisting that dogs be contained on subways and not Parisian in doggy dining philosophy--is still a city of dog lovers...
1. You can shop with your dog here. While I am sure that this is true in all stores, I remember noticing it more profoundly here that people truly bring their dogs everywhere! If you happen to be shopping at the Time Warner Center, you can stop at the amazing Bouchon Bakery and get a treat for your dog!
2. In a city with so many great outdoor dining options, your dog always has a place to sit if you want to go out and eat with him at your feet.
3. The dog run at my neighborhood Carl Schurz Park...a beautiful view of the East River, a lovely walk through a gorgeously landscaped park to get there, and a newly refinished surface in the small dog run for the dogs to...well...run.
4. Not to mention the long list of bars where you can bring your dog... I knew I liked this city for a reason!
5. Feel like a burger and some casual outdoor seating? Bring your dog to Shake Shack! There are even water bowls for dogs and treats on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment