Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tulip Dreams

Today, on my walk home from work through Central Park, I noticed that the tulips have started to blossom.  Even though it is supposed to snow in NYC tomorrow, I am content to know that spring is on the way.  I do love rediscovering my typical routes home through new eyes when the seasons change.  Bill Bryson writes about a similar experience of rediscovery when he walks the Appalachian Trail and documents it in his travel memoir A Walk in the Woods.
To him, car obsessed America looks entirely different through a walker's eyes.  No surprise considering that, in suburbia at least, one can do almost anything from their car; conduct their banking, buy ice cream, drop off library books... While there are definitely things that exist to critique in this book (I have a feeling that I might argue with Bill Bryson a lot if I ran into him at a cocktail party), overall, it is entertaining and inspires its readers to hike the Appalachian Trail.  In the meantime, this city girl has her own vast wilderness to conquer: Central Park.
Maybe I can try Bryson's bear begone trick for the throngs of people that congest the pathways as the weather warms?

No comments:

Post a Comment