Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Craving Clam Strips...

So, while I once heard that the good old New England seaside classic: the clamstrip roll is regarded with disgust in fine dining circles, I can't help but love them...in the very least because of my association of them with summer.  Today, as I was planning an upcoming trip to Newport, Rhode Island, my mouth began salivating at the thought of Flo's Clam Shack... This tacky, kitschy, but delicious clam strip haven is the stuff that dreams are made of.
In honor of New England seaside towns and the coming warm weather (I can just feel that spring is in the air!!), tonight I will recommend a book that should be on everyone's summer reading list: Melville's Moby Dick.  
So, whether you wait for summer to partake in this delightful piece of fiction, or you pretend it's summer and pick up a copy now--and I am convinced that most everyone probably already owns a tattered copy somewhere in the depths of their bookshelves--make it a summer reading requirement.  And...be sure to make clam strip rolls a summer eating requirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment