Monday, March 28, 2011

Feeling Philosophical?

If philosophizing just seems to be in your blood today, might I suggest a book to go along with some dive-bar intellectualism? Milan Kundera's Unbearable Lightness of Being (which I just re-read excerpts of after it emerged in weekend conversation) might just be your cup of tea...or cognac...or red wine...or whatever you feel like drinking when you are feeling philosophical.  Personally, I crave a ginger cocktail that I had at Milk and Honey once whenever I feel like busting out Derrida, Neitzsche, or Gramsci. 
I loved this book the first time I read it and I continue to love it. Beyond a fascinating look at the tension between free thought and an intellectually oppressive society, the explorations of love, desire, suffering and everything in between makes this novel one that stays with you.  In addition, it makes me want to explore Prague--something that I have not yet had the chance to do, but eagerly await for its architecture and lovely cool mugs of beer.  
As for the book...if you love it...I recommend another Kundera book The Book of Laughter and Forgetting...or, if something a little lighter is in the cards...why not read Love the One Your With, which I have also just finished. Like Tomas' concepts about love, the main character in this (significantly) less weighty novel, struggles with the notions of love and desire; however, in Giffin's novel, you are absolved of nearly all thinking and along merely for the entertaining plot! Personally, I enjoyed both. 
Whichever book you decide to go with...enjoy!

1 comment: