Monday, March 14, 2011

Game On!

While I spend my days teaching adolescents and actually enjoy teenagers for their sense of humor, wide-open futures, and misery that I know is only ephemeral, when I think about adolescent fiction, my enjoyment factor plummets.  I have found a lot of the adolescent fiction genre to be trite, wrought with stereotypes that need not be imposed on the already insecure individuals of this age, and worst of all...terribly written.  That said, I cannot say that I have not read (and enjoyed) The Twilight Series--though the movie was more comedic than romantic and, while I jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon a tad late, I find that series quite enjoyable as well.  However, for a well-written, nuanced, and refreshingly agency invoking series, I would recommend The Hunger Games trilogy.  Begin reading it and I guarantee obsession--and not just if you are between the ages of 13-18.  
Looking for a place to become engrossed in this trilogy? How about The Library Bar at the Hudson Hotel? Grab a glass of wine and root Katniss Everdeen on as she competes in the "hunger games" where only one person gets out alive! And, in the meantime, if you need a game derived adrenaline rush of your own while your there, sit at one of their tables that has a chessboard ready and waiting for your dramatic checkmate. 
Enjoy~you won't be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment