Sunday, May 13, 2012

Water Taxis, German Beer Gardens, and Picnics in the Park

Although one never wants to wish time away...it is increasingly difficult not to find myself counting down the days to Memorial Day Weekend. White pants and barbecues, summer s'mores and fire pits, sandy beaches and strawberry banana smoothies are calling my name... The weather was gorgeous today in New York City and I am spotting more and more maxi dresses and sandals...yup...summer is on its way in. I can feel it!

M. and I headed to Brooklyn Saturday via New York City's latest transportation craze: The water taxi. The views were stupendous, the wind was in our hair, the salty water spray was splashing up against our faces...well, eww...that part was actually disgusting, but you know, the rest was great. We took the ferry a couple of stops making our commute to Williamsburg an amazingly fast 15 minutes. 
Once we arrived, we stopped at Smorgasburg. I know, I know, I just went last weekend you say. Well, M. had never been and I felt that his life would not be complete without sampling the delicious food there. It had nothing to do with my intense craving for another Asia Dog...
While there, I also got this amazing lemonade. It sounds simple, but my cup of lemon lime basil lemonade was out of this world...
From here, we headed to Radegast for an authentic German beer in the beer garden. One turned into two and, when a couple of my friends who live in Brooklyn came to meet us, that turned into three and well...the night progressed from there. M. and I were laughing because this beer hall has authentically captured the German beer hall spirit and ambience. We reminisced about our trip to Munich back when we were wee twenty-two-year-olds. We arrived in Munich and all of the hostels were booked so we had to stay at this bizarre "hotel" that was way above our budget at the time. We went out that night to Hofbrauhaus and had a few of their gigantic beers and then realized we had both had a little too much and couldn't find our way back to our weird hotel. After some distress and wandering, we finally made it only to find that, in this bargain hotel, they turned out all of the hallway lights after midnight. After stumbling our way back to our room, we fell asleep and woke up the next morning to find a cot blocking our door. On this said cot, was a young man passed out with green shaving cream all over his face. We never did figure out what to make of that, but happily checked out early that morning whereupon we headed to a hostel that was in a convent and I won't even get into how strange that experience was...

After a nice long run this morning, M. and I headed up to the park for a picnic. Frenchie contentedly played with his ball and M. and I ate and enjoyed the scenery. 
All in all, a lovely weekend...Happy Mother's Day to everyone out there! 

1 comment:

  1. You're the best.....you have no idea how much I look forward to reading your blog.....it's entertaining, informative, and I can think about what fun you, M and dog had. That always brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete