Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Nemesis: The Crosstown Bus

On days when the weather is not pleasant, my walk home through Central Park does not happen and I inevitably end up riding the crosstown bus. The crosstown bus and I have a volatile, unhealthy relationship; he takes my money, he always runs late, he lets multiple people get on and off as he pleases. Yes, it is definitely a far cry from romance and chivalry. As such, I am constantly looking for ways to make my time with him bearable. Here are some strategies I will pass on for those that find themselves lingering in similar relationships...

Catch up on all my favorite blogs! 
Daily reads currently include:

Smith & Ratliff: I love this blog for (downtown) city tips

Cupcakes and Cashmere: One of the first blogs I ever started reading regularly and therefore it is part habit, part sentiment, and part the lure of beautiful photography

Sacramento Street: What can I say? I always love reading blogs written by people who live in tiny, city homes!

Mr and Mrs Globe Trot: I adore this couple who took off and traveled the world for half a year. M.?? Doesn't that sound fabulous??

This is Glamorous: I LOVE her pictures! There's nothing like ultra glamour and a fantasy world when you are navigating the big, bad bus.

Read!
Just finished New York Trilogy. Ummmm...wow. This is not to say that I did not love it, because I did. However, I feel like reading it is sort of akin to my experiences with MOMA. Sometimes I go and I stare at Lichtenstein and think, "This is genius." Other times I go and I see a hanger bent and stapled to a wall with chewed gum surrounding it and I think, "W.T.F." Be prepared for both moments.

Listen to Music:
Okay, at this point you are probably thinking, Hmm...how original. I never thought to do any of this. And to that I would reply: I never said this was going to be a revolutionary way to deal with bad bus commutes.

Make Happy Stops Along the Way...
Today's happy halfway point: A visit with my friend and her adorable son. He showed me his new trick. My friend preceded his trick with: "Now some people teach their children the alphabet, but this is what I have taught my son to do:" [Cue Music] Let me tell you, not much is more hilarious than a one and a half year old fist pumping.

Happy Tuesday!





No comments:

Post a Comment