Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Train Travel Titles

Sometimes I feel as though I spend my life on trains; subways, MetroNorth, Amtrak, Shoreline East. If the scenery is nice, train travel is relaxing and even enjoyable; however, holiday weekend departures on trains out of New York City deserve a circle in Dante's hell...I already have a minute-by-minute plan as to how I am getting out of the city along with the millions of other people who are involved in the urban desertion that commences Memorial Day weekend. I wish I was kidding, but I am not. The train tickets are bought and sitting on the desk so I can avoid the long ticket lines. I have an end of the day "action plan" for my route out of the building and down to Grand Central. We have a contingency plan for the great suitcase handoff--whereupon, M. will meet me with a suitcase that I cannot possibly lug to school. I even have food rations and water supplies present and accounted for. I won't even get started on the dog travel plans...all I am going to say is that our dog has a terrible flatulence problem when he is feeling relaxed, and, for some reason, cramped, confined train travel makes him feel like he has just completed a three hour bikram yoga class...

While I am still reading The Corrections, I have also picked up another novel in anticipation of the long weekend ahead where I will be engaging in some train travel and, therefore, some intensive reading sessions to pass the time and fall into a fictive world where masses of people are not crowded into my personal space.


Miss Timmins' School for Girls by Nayana Gurrimbhoy, is a novel that I thought was going to be a lot like another favorite read, The Secret History, but this murder mystery novel set at a boarding school is taking a decidedly different turn. I am really enjoying it so far and will have updates on both of these books after my weekend of travels.
Happy reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment