Monday, May 21, 2012

Adventures on the F Train

It is not often that I take the F train, but a providential turn of events, or rather, subway work on the 4, resulted in a Saturday evening adventure on the F train down to Cobble Hill. This weekend was the LitCrawl in Brooklyn, an event where different bars, universities, bookstores, and restaurants host readings of various new(er) authors, or even acted out scenes from books for a live (drinking) audience.

M. and I headed to 61 Local to catch the latter end of the event. First of all, the crowd was eclectic and entertaining. I have never seen so many literary tattoos. Second, the venue was great. There is something about the space of a Brooklyn bar that is just so refreshing after the cramped spaces of Manhattan. Third of all, the beer was delicious. I had the Six Point "Brownstone" and it was dark and hoppy. Beyond all of these surface aesthetics, there was the focal point of the evening: The books! And...even better...the authors! I dream of the day when I my books will crawl...!

Here were a couple of my favorite profiled books:

Moby Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page by Matt Kish: I mean, that is sort of white whale worthy feat in and of itself, no? 
The Word Made Flesh: Literary Tattoos from Bookworms Worldwide by Eva Talmadge and Justin Taylor: Really cool picture of tattoos inspired by books.
Sorry for the lack of pictures...I felt decidedly uncool whipping a camera out. 

Now I totally want to go to the San Francisco version of this event, which happens in October; however, if I can't make that (which will probably be the case), I will happily attend the September 15th Manhattan version...I guess I'll just have to deal with the cramped spaces...

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment