Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Footnotes

Here is what I am loving on this beautiful sunshine-after-the-rain Friday:

My walk home through Central Park this afternoon, which was particularly uplifting following a drenching week of downpours...
M., telling me all about Oakland, California, 1950-1970. Nope, not joking. 
That's what History Ph.D. students talk about in the park on a Friday afternoon...
My new discovery (that was right under my nose all along): Epicerie Boulud serves the most amazing coffee in the mornings in their casual cafe. At $2.50 for a large, it's cheaper than Starbucks, there is never a line, oh and beginning your mornings at this place is enchanting...Even their to-go cups are adorable! 

The rad band Horsefeathers: I felt super lucky on Wednesday when, last minute, I was able to get on "the list" through a friend to go see the sold-out show of one of my favorite bands. My friend worked in Mali with the violinist of the band who is super cool and has an awesome job that I am totally envious of...violin and some backup vocals for a living?! Yes, please. The concert was amazing and, though attending a Wednesday night concert when the headliner starts at 11:00 is no easy feat when you wake up at six, the music made it worthwhile!
On Thursday, we took the students to see the play Macbeth. Field trips with students are always entertaining. My favorite highlights from this particular field trip adventure: The student who yelled "Amen" after Macbeth said "bring forth men children only." Not only was it misogynistic, but awesomely interactive in a play that was...well...not. Other highlights included the student who needed to vomit and ran out of the theater but didn't quite make it. I don't think that actors were happy as they were using the aisle frequently throughout the performance. Ahh...field trips.

Thursday night was a lovely chance to reconnect with my friends from graduate school. It's always fun to catch up with them and hear all about what is new in the world of human rights policy. 

My latest read: The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster = AWESOME. Loving it so far!
Million Trees NYC: My new favorite tree planting foundation. Sure it might be because they (finally) planted a tree in the gaping concrete space in front of my building, but hey, I'll take it and will happily spread the word about this wonderful organization. Cities without trees are sad cities...
My co-worker who made Frenchie these adorable (and tasty, judging by Frenchie's enthusiasm!) dog treats!
The butterfly (I know, you can hardly see him on the other side of the bear ketchup and mustard, but he's there!) that stopped by for a visit today as M. and I sat in the sunshine for happy hour...
Happy, happy Friday!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, M looks really cool in that picture.....I would love to see more pictures of M in your future blogs....oh, by the way, nice shoes....

    ReplyDelete