Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Some Get a Kick from Champagne

If deconstructed critically, the musical Anything Goes has its issues (the portrayal of Chinese people is problematic to say the least).  However, if it is merely recognized as a "period piece," it is an entertaining and fun musical in which to get "swept away!"  Just don't sit next to my boyfriend as he prefers critical analysis in any and all circumstances. Oh, and he has a horrible "stage whisper."
Personally, I just loved this musical! From the gorgeous, glittering costumes to the intensely beautiful lighting, the intricately choreographed dance numbers, and the comedic characters, this is a musical that entertains all the way.  It also echoes my sentiments when it comes to travel.  The refrain from the second number of the musical is:
And there's no cure like travel
To help you unravel 
The worries of living today. 
When the poor brain is cracking 
There's nothing like packing 
A suitcase and sailing away.
I couldn't agree more...

In that spirit, I am so excited about the fact that I have a three day work week this week. Tomorrow night, I am packing up and heading north to Maine to see the changing leaves! Can't. Wait. First stop: Portland, Maine where I plan to sample a large variety of the delicious food that I keep hearing is abundant in this foodie town. Brunch will be at Five-Fifty-Five where I am definitely going to taste (or more realistically, inhale) the brioche French toast... Apricot marmelade + Maine maple syrup? Umm...yes, please! Other places on the itinerary include: DuckFat (for my fry fix), Two Fat Cats (for my bakery fix) and The Reserve at Laudholm Farm (for my city-girl-in-the-country fix). There really is no cure like travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment