Thursday, September 15, 2011

Henrietta Rules

While life has been so busy these past couple of weeks that I am not sure when I will have time to finish reading the books that I have started, this didn't stop me from ordering a book that is currently on the New York Times Best Seller List and sounds completely enticing...
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot deals with the bodily cells of a poor, African American, female cancer patient who died in the 1950s and whose cells were appropriated by the medical community and led to incredible medical breakthroughs.  The book explores the freeing nature of her cells for those with privilege and medical need, while also exploring the exploitive nature of using her body--a "body" of a person (and people) that was undervalued and disempowered by the elite long after she died.  I can't wait to read more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment