Sunday, October 2, 2011

Daytrippin'

I could make a thousand arguments for why New York City is one of the greatest places in the world to live.  By the same token, I could make a thousand arguments for why it is critical to leave New York City frequently.  In the interest of balance and sanity, the daytrip, or, even better, the weekend getaway, is a crucial necessity for people who live in this thriving, busy, bustling metropolis.

On Wednesday, the boyfriend and I headed up to Maine for a quintessential New England fall weekend. Our first stop was Portland, Maine. If you are someone who likes to eat, wander cobblestone streets, and shop quaint little stores, Portland is the perfect getaway.  We both marveled at why we had possibly not been there more times.  The restaurant selection was divine.  I have decided that my mark of a city that I could live in is how much diversity there is in the food selection...Portland won high marks in that regard. Despite fog and intermittent relentless rain, we both loved Portland and will definitely be going back. Some favorite stops were:
DuckFat: A small lunch place with great food and character. Thoughtful and adorable details abounded like poetry magnets, fresh flowers, glass water bottles, and food served on wooden cutting boards.  All of their food is locally sourced and they have an awesome beer assortment.  
I tried my hand at magnet poetry...
Standard Baking Company: Apart from the too cute patisserie setting, there was a pink bike with a basket parked outside that just added to its charm.
Ferdinand: Such a great store...In addition to some kick-ass vintage earrings and postcards I picked up, I also bought vintage air mail paper/envelopes which reminded me of sending letters to India when I was young. 
Mornings in Paris: I could definitely deal with getting my coffee here each morning...
Rabelais: I don't/can't cook, but even I felt inspired by this bookstore completely filled with an awesome selection of food themed books.
Other places to check out...Hugos, Five-fifty-five, Street and Co, and many more...
From Portland we headed back down south to Kennebunkport, Maine where we stayed at the adorable Captain Jefferd's Inn. I was seriously in love with this place! We have stayed in a lot of bed and breakfasts, but this one was just too cute in all of the details. Plus, the breakfast was delicious! First of all, I adored the Federalist Period house with modern updates and decorating style, with, of course, a nod to the past.  Secondly, the location was perfect for people like us who wanted to get out of the city while still feeling like we could walk to restaurants and cafes. We fully enjoyed the quaintness of Kennebunkport and felt like we were really away.
From here we were off to Wells, Maine where we spent the day hiking at the Wells Reserve and the Laudholm Farm, which were both recommended to me by a co-worker who grew up in Maine.  This just fulfilled every Maine fantasy that I was harboring. From the barns, the pumpkins, the apple trees, the hike through the beautifully colored fall woodlands to the ocean that met the woods at the end of the trail...I was in heaven! The blue skies and 60 degree weather wasn't bad either. All in all, Maine was amazing and I recommend it completely.
On the way home, we took a detour through Salem, Massachusetts since I am teaching The Crucible and wanted to take some pictures to show my students.  If you are looking for one of the strangest places in America, this is your town...A definite stop for Halloween entertainment!  More to follow tomorrow on this odd, historic, and fascinating town...

I am still reading (and loving!) The Night Circus--be sure to pick it up as it is the perfect fit for this time of year! If you can read it in front of a fireplace--even better...Don't you just love the fall?

Happy, happy October!


No comments:

Post a Comment