Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Kicking It Old School

I would definitely not call myself a luddite. I have an iPhone. I engage in social media processes. I adore my macbook. Despite my affinity for technology, I engage in some completely inefficient, old style, outmoded, dinosaur habits that I just can't seem to let go of. 

One of those archaic habits I continue to harbor is the use of an agenda book. While my phone, my computer, or an iPad could just as efficiently store the dates and times of commitments, for some reason, I am wholly dependent on my Barnes and Noble weekly agenda book. I have been buying some variation of this planner since college. I religiously cross out the things I have done and move old, unfinished activities to the next day until they too get crossed out.  

I was at a meeting today at grad school and whipped out my planner, which invited several laughs and queries into why I would ever use such a thing. Admittedly, we did keep changing dates and I was involved in a comical dance of writing something down only to cross it out a moment later. When faced with questions as to why I loved this thing so much, I really couldn't come up with a reasonable explanation. I just like it. 

I guess perhaps in a world that often moves too fast, where technology is constantly upgrading, changing, and progressing, I just find something comforting in my elephant patterned, purple printed, old school agenda book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment