Monday, January 9, 2012

Re-Branding

Lately, I have noticed that there is a trend happening in my neighborhood. Traditionally, the Upper East Side of New York City has been regarded as a neighborhood homogenous in both race and class, the home to the fictional cast of Gossip Girl, the MET, the Whitney, The Guggenheim, and an array of stuffy restaurants. While this is essentially a stereotype, clearly, others have noticed this perception as well and, in an effort to restore a shred of hipness to a staid hood, some genius has come up with the retro term "Yorkville."

"Yorkville" is not a new term. From the working class German and Irish immigrants who resided in this area, came the neighborhood called "Yorkville;" a working class haven east of the gold coast of the Upper East Side. That said, in my eight and a half years of living in this area, I am seeing a distinct change of character to this old neighborhood. As skinny jeans and vintage, thick-framed-glasses take up residence with equal measure to baby carriages and Tory Burch, the restaurants, coffee shops, and bars have, thankfully, been infused with the vibe of a changing neighborhood.

Some of my new favorite places that have cropped up under the neighborhood re-branding are:

Something Old...As old as the original Yorkville itself: Orwashers: The destination of all my Sunday bakery strolls...
Something New...Oslo: A Brooklyn coffee shop where hipster baristas make delicious hot chocolate, lattes, and cappuccinos
And my new favorite place for tapas and wine...Pil Pil: Had drinks here this weekend and I adored the decor, the music and the company :)
And, though I have mentioned it before, I will say it again well...because I just love it...Joneswood Foundry: my new favorite neighborhood pub.

Welcome Hipsters...

No comments:

Post a Comment