Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Books to Read on Cold Winter Nights

For the first time this winter, the weather is actually not a balmy 50 degrees and I think my body has gone into shock. Going out for lunch at work today was torture, taking the bus home from work-necessary, and my short walk from the bus stop to my apartment required a stop for hot chocolate in order to make the journey home. While these days are not conducive to productivity, for me at least, they are the perfect days for curling up under a blanket with a hot drink and a good read. While it has been pretty busy lately, I have managed to get in a few good reads. Here are some books that I am currently loving!
A Dog's Purpose by Bruce Cameron:
One of the things I love about summer travel is the opportunity to read. Luckily, my friends, and travel companions, share a similar sentiment. While we usually pass tattered copies of books around to one another over the course of the trip, this was the summer of the e-reader. While in Thailand, my friend Nicole ordered this book on her Kindle and every time I looked over she was crying. Though I had way too many books that I was working through on our trip, as a result of the convenience of ordering books on my Nook, I bought the book and forgot about it entirely.  Last week, on break for the holidays, I began flipping through my Nook and rediscovered the book A Dog's Purpose. On some occasions, a good cry is the perfect catharsis. This book will definitely prompt tears, but is a must read for any dog lover! 
David Sedaris Holidays on Ice 
On an entirely opposite note...Sometimes you need a book that does nothing but make you laugh. Especially around the holidays. Ahhh...the holidays...While of course holidays have many positive attributes; eggnog, Christmas tree decorations, the warmth and love of family and friends... for most people, that same wonderful proximity to family and friends can also be the impetus for stress. Personally, I prefer to maintain the humor approach to holiday stress in which I laugh about things that might otherwise make me cry. Sedaris definitely gets that about the holidays and his sardonic account of his own family holiday experience is hilarious and definitely worth the read. So, that said, for anyone with an ummm colorful (or insert your own euphemism!) uncle, brother, sister, or father, this is the book for you! Enjoy! 
Happy Reading and Stay Warm!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you and your dog literature. :) Purchasing the David Sedaris book asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The christmas episode of This American Life just replayed the Sedaris Macy's elf reading. The Billie Holiday part makes me laugh every year.

    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/47/christmas-and-commerce?act=1

    ReplyDelete