Thursday, January 12, 2012

Big, Bad, Bookcase

I have a SECRET...

I kind of love decorating. This is surprising considering my lack of skill in all other areas of the domestic arts. While I am by no means good at it, I do enjoy poring over decorating magazines and adore all kinds of decorating books. In thinking back, this is an enjoyment that has been with me for years. I have memories of deriving a strong sense of satisfaction from moving around bedroom furniture as a kid and, while the "decorating" books that I read then were more about how to build a hammock in your room, it was really essentially the same idea, just, you know, a different audience :)

Since my boyfriend doesn't really have the strongest of opinions about design (believe me, ONLY when it comes to furniture), our apartment decor has been heavily guided by my hand. I try not to go overboard; however certain things, like pink sheets or my favorite hot pink armchair with gold studding details have slipped through. Again, luckily the boyfriend doesn't seem to mind. 

The only thing that has been a constant area of contention over the years is our bookcase. Now, some people might say that it has "character," or that it is "edgy," or "industrial, but, to me, it is truly just ugly. I might come to terms with it if we had more space and it was not a forced focal point in our apartment, but since we live in New York City, that is just not our situation. Since he loves the bookcase, it will stay, but that has not stopped me from fantasizing about new bookcases or planning ways in which I can organize it to make it (slightly) more tolerable. 
All images from Pinterest!
In honor of bookcase organization, I am sharing the video that seems to be the current meme. Enjoy.
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment