Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Indian Summer

While I adore the fall, that does not mean that I harbor any aversion whatsoever to the meteorological phenomenon of the "indian summer." This weekend, well into October, the temperature hovered in the 80s. It was the perfect weekend to be outside. Fall Festivities, our annual "holiday," was a success. We carved pumpkins, meandered through a corn maze, and caught up on one another's lives.
At the end of the night, I returned to NYC with my carved pumpkin. My friends did standard Charlie Brown pumpkins; triangle eyes, geometric mouths with teeth, inverted triangle nose.  I am apparently not very good at picking pumpkins, so as a result of the rotting spots scattered across my orange canvas, I was forced to be creative in my carving. This need to creatively conceal the rot resulted in a swiss cheese pumpkin with hand drawn mice. Walking through Grand Central with this pumpkin in my arms late Saturday night as the "going out crowd" headed into the city was ummm...quite the experience.
It seems that the temperatures are forecasted to return to their average October fare tomorrow, so I am glad for that one last fling this weekend with summer.
Currently Reading: William Dean Howell's Indian Summer. Apparently, "indian summers" are best appreciated in Florence, Italy...

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment