Monday, October 3, 2011

All Hallows Eve

Part of the reason that I love the month of October so much is because Halloween is one of my absolute favorite holidays. In New York City, between the village Halloween Parade, the Halloween Howl at Carl Schurz Park, and the endless bars, walking tours, and haunted houses that crop up all over the city as the day gets closer, this is surely a place where people can and do enjoy Halloween.
Personally, I am in love with the costumes that people come up with for this entertaining holiday. I love deciding on my costume each year and, if I do say so myself, I have come up with some great ones over the years! I am almost always last minute; you can find me out running around in the fashion district right before I go out. Last year, I was pretty proud of my political costume: I was SB1070. The year before, I think I pulled off a pretty great Operation Man. My point is: I really love Halloween!

Coming from this city that I feel takes Halloween pretty seriously, I was shocked to find a place that not only takes Halloween to a whole new level than New York City, but has managed to craft an entire industry around all things ghoulish and ghostly. Salem, Massachusetts has to be the most Halloween-obsessed place I have ever visited.

We stopped in Salem on our way back from Maine this past weekend and my-oh-my were we in for a strange experience.  Countless people were dressed up like witches and vampires, there were more Halloween stores than I have ever seen in my life, oh and I stopped counting how many tarot card/psychic reading stores I saw after number twelve...
While we went to take pictures of all things related to the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 for my students (since I am teaching Arthur Miller's The Crucible), this is definitely a place that is an entertaining stop if you are ever in the area...Here's a glimpse at this odd, historical, entertaining, literary town...
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment