Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Vampires and Macaroons

I have talked before about my grim fascination with post-apocalyptic fiction .  I'm not sure if it is my fear that this might actually happen or my love of transportive fiction, but, either way, I always seem to find myself drawn to this genre.  My current read is keeping me up at night; both as a result of its page turning goodness and my post-reading fear that the military is right at this very moment devising a weaponry plan with potential to go awry... Sometimes it is just fun to be a little scared which is why I would definitely recommend the novel The Passage by Jason Cronin.  The vampires in this book definitely do not resemble those of the teen Twilight series...
While the book has its issues; there are definitely better written vampire genre novels out there, many of the characters are underdeveloped, and the author really needs to take a class on "showing" as opposed to "telling" in his writing, the book is an entertaining read that effectively scares readers!

Sometimes when I am reading novels that scare me, I like to read them in a setting that is equally terrifying.  This is usually just around halloween, however.  Normally, when reading scary books, I prefer to read them in the safety and comfort of a scene that directly contradicts the subject matter.  For this particular read, I plan to eat happily colored macaroons as I finish the novel in the warm sun of Central Park after visiting a shop that is finally opening here in New York City! I have been waiting patiently for the doors to open to what is sure to be one of my new favorite places.  Too conveniently located to my apartment, and even more dangerously located in between my job and my home, I have a salivatingly (yes, I just made up a word!) bad feeling that I will see a lot of this place over the next year...Move over Magnolia...Paris is coming to town!
Even the website for Laduree is beautiful.  Their much anticipated New York City store on 70th and Madison opens this week and I can't wait to indulge! Famous for beautifully packaged macaroons in an even more beautiful setting, the color, smells, and tastes of Laduree will make the perfect antidote to a scary book.
Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, now I'll have to choose between Crumbs and Lauduree when I come to NY in September! I wonder if there's time for both........

    ReplyDelete