Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween Hurricane

Last year Halloween brought a freakish snowstorm that left much of my home state of Connecticut without power for a week. This year, Hurricane Sandy is scheduled to arrive with high winds, two days of school cancellations, a paralyzed subway, and mandated evacuations in "zone A" of New York City. Before the storm though, my friends and I had a fun Halloween bash on Saturday to commemorate my favorite holiday. Hopefully, the weather will be better in time for the village Halloween parade on Wednesday, but if it is not, I am happy that I got to celebrate before the storm.

I don't sew, but I do love making halloween costumes. My trusty glue gun always saves the day on Halloween! This year, after much debate about whether or not to go political, I decided to be an entirely apolitical peacock. I went to the craft store in between the end of parent/teacher conferences on Friday and our after work happy hour. I bought feathers, tulle, and glitter glue and wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with these materials, but knew I would figure something out! On Saturday before my friends arrived, I went to H & M and bought a really inexpensive peacock blue dress.
Armed with these materials, I constructed my peacock costume just in time for my friend's arrival when they safety pinned the panels for my tail onto my dress and stuck tons of feathers into my hair. Oh how I love halloween!!
The Finished Product
My friend's boyfriend did go political. I think he regretted that 
after hearing the first 5,000 comments from M. and I
Hours after my friends left on Sunday, we heard that the subway would be shut down and school cancelled in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy. This morning, as the wind picked up outside, M. and I took a walk down to the East River since we will likely be stuck inside most of the rest of the day. The FDR is already flooded and the hurricane has not even hit yet, so that is a little disconcerting. New Yorkers being New Yorkers are of course still outside wandering around. The FDR was crawling with people walking across the closed down highway. As I type, someone is playing "Please Don't Take My Sunshine Away" on the saxophone--only in New York!
Stay safe, warm, and dry everyone and good luck weathering "Frankenstorm!"


No comments:

Post a Comment