Thursday, May 19, 2011

Decoding Doggy Dialogue

Some things about my dog I get. Other things are much of a mystery to me.  That's where the book Dog Sense: How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You a Better Friend to Your Pet comes in. I am so excited to read this book so that I can start decoding Frenchie's behavior.  
I once heard that dogs have a linguistic command of approximately a two and half-year-old.  Frenchie definitely seems to understand a lot.  For example, we have a carrying case in which we transport him to and from CT.  Frenchie loves pastoral CT and his brother Max, who is the "son" of my boyfriend's parents.  When we say the word "CT" or "train," Frenchie immediately looks at the closet expectantly--waiting for his black bag to emerge.  Personally, I am not even sure that my friend's three-year-old is that good at making inferences. I am so excited to learn more about Frenchie's psyche and can't wait to read this book! 

1 comment:

  1. If you still recommend this book after reading it I will have to read it too...Max definitely understands many words. I wonder if he and Frenchie are naturally smart or if they just have smart "parents"....Hmm....

    ReplyDelete