Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Driving on the Left Side of the Road

In a little while, I am jumping on the train to head to Greenwich, CT to meet one of my favorite people for lunch. After having a taste of the freedom of a car for a few weeks in Ireland, the return to public transportation has me weighing the conveniences (and inconveniences!) of both forms of transportation. Despite the relative convenience of a car, where I do not have to rely on a train schedule for my comings and goings, I think that I still prefer public transit (with a dash of cabs in the mix!) for getting around. Granted, driving on the left side of the road was, for two New Yorkers who never really drive, an adventure in and of itself, but beyond that added dimension, I think I am a subway/train/ferry/taxi gal at heart.

One rarely gets lost on public transportation...
We used both a GPS and countless maps, yet still managed to get lost on several occasions. Getting lost becomes significantly more difficult when train tracks run on preconceived tracks. 

If there is an obstruction in front of a train, it is the conductor who worries about it, not the passengers. 
While sheep crossing the middle of the street probably wouldn't happen too much in the US, other errant animals might dart out (I will always remember the time that my graduate school roommate hit a deer-yikes!).

I will leave you with a couple of videos of us (and by "us," I mean M.--I merely provided moral support and map reading skills) driving. I think you will agree that we should stick to public transit.

Happy Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment