Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tasty Travel Lit

Summer travel inspires trashy literature--well, for me at least.  At the top of my enjoyed summer travel books was Emma Donoghue's Room.  While the premise is utterly disturbing, the book is a page turner.  The confinement of the main character is maddening and you fight for her escape with each word read. The very essence of the story is also about motherhood and sacrifice and this deepens what might be an entirely superficial plot. A great poolside read!
And as long as we're on the subject of indulgent literature, one of my favorite beverage indulgences is the classic mojito that, incidentally, would be the perfect complement to this read.  Fresh mint is key in this drink, so grab your mortar and pestle, some fresh squeezed limes, and read Room!  
Happy Summer!   

1 comment:

  1. I have all the ingredients for the mojito.....now I just need the book! I put it on my book list (that keeps on growing)and hope the fresh mint in the garden will last until I get the book....

    ReplyDelete