Friday, January 21, 2011

Walkin' in Memphis

Over the past year, I keep hearing about this book called The Help.  You know the one. Bestseller blah blah blah.  From my 80-year-old Nana to my librarian sister and even from my friend who hates to read came the same recommendation over and over.  Last week, I finally decided to read Kathryn Stockett's The Help and I must say, I now join the ranks of those recommending this novel.  While I did feel that the book failed to adequately address some of the class issues inherent to the topic of domestic workers, it does a good job of opening up discursive space for some of the race and gender issues in a way that is thought-provoking without being preachy, boring, or didactic.  I predict this will one day soon be a movie as there was literally one scene of racial harmony so dramatic that I could almost hear the music crescendo as I read.

On a completely shallow note, the book's southern food and architecture references made this northern gal swoon. Perhaps it is my New England upbringing, which while quaint and idyllic lacks the charm of wide verandas and freshly brewed sweet tea in a mason jar.  

Images courtesy of the  Inn at Palmetto Bluff... <3
Pass the sweet tea please... 
Image courtesy of Southern Living 

No comments:

Post a Comment