Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Grown Up Ghost Story

While studying in London as a teenager, I remember being fascinated by crypts.  For me, it was not so much the concept of a crypt, but rather the fact that they coexisted so strangely with the vibrant city of London.  At one point, I remember descending into an old church containing a cafe where I ordered a coffee, looked down, and saw a placard with the name and dates of a life on the floor beneath me.  I love London and, perhaps it is because of experiences like this, that I always associate that city with intrigue and   mystery.  From the highly touristy "Jack the Ripper" nighttime tour to the gruesome tales told about the Tower of London, even someone who does not believe in ghosts might just for a second allow themselves the fun of being (slightly) scared.

I had this same sentiment while reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian.  Her beautiful writing (and truly it is richly developed with imagery, impeccable word choice, and gradually building suspense) weaves a story that is both fascinating and frightening.  It is perfect reading for a night like tonight in New York City when snow is falling as thunder and lightening simultaneously occur.
Essentially, it is truly the perfect grown-up ghost story!

While normally my reading companion beverage of choice is hot, this novel warrants a nice glass of full-bodied red wine.  Red like the blood sucked by the scary vampire in the novel... Hey--cheesy similes are allowed! I digress...However, I am currently loving a California cabernet from Napa Valley called Irony.  

No comments:

Post a Comment