Monday, January 24, 2011

Childhood Nostalgia

As a New Yorker, abundant access to world class museums is just one of the many residential perks.  So why is it that of all the museums that are scattered across the city, the one that I constantly want to go to is The MET? American Decorative Arts junkie? Egyptian Art buff? European Sculpture Court aficionado? Nope! While I do ADORE the roof garden in the warmer months and I do love art...I am convinced that my obsession stems from a favorite childhood book: From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konisburg.
This past weekend, in a moment of nostalgia, I reread the book that I loved so much as a child.  It was amazing how vivid my recollections were of this book that I read years ago...especially considering that I have, quite possibly, the world's worst memory.

Even despite the outdated references of the book, such as the typewriter in the store window on Madison Avenue, or the fact that $1.27 bought the children lunch when I just recently spent over ten dollars on the UWS for my unglamorous deli lunch this afternoon, something about this book is so quintessentially New York City that time seems not to have passed at all since its publication in the late 1960s.

Image  
While I don't have children, if I did, I would force them to read this book. Then I would drag them to The Met, which would hold mystery and excitement and the possibility that two children escaping the banality of their CT existence might just be hiding behind the reconstructed Egyptian temple wall...




So...in the spirit of childhood nostalgia...grab some hot chocolate with marshmallows and start reading!!
Looking for a great hot chocolate recipe...?
Here's an amazingly delicious one from Bon Appetite
Spiced Hot Chocolate

Ingredients

  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup golden brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 ounces chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Garnish: whipped cream, cinnamon sticks

Preparation

  • Whisk milk, brown sugar, and whipping cream in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; add cocoa powder, chocolate, and cinnamon; whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour hot chocolate into 6 demitasse cups. Garnish each with whipped cream and a cinnamon stick.
Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2005/12/spiced_hot_chocolate#ixzz1C0PBZcRk

No comments:

Post a Comment