Sunday, April 29, 2012

Weekend Recap: AKA Avoiding What I Actually Really Need To Do

Well, back to a busy work week; grades are due on Tuesday, my final paper for graduate school is due on Wednesday...it's going to be a tough first week of May! This is decidedly my own fault though as I did far too much having fun this weekend and far too little work...

On Friday, one of my closest friends headed in from CT and we went to the Yankee's game together. I hadn't seen her in a month, which is a longer stretch than usual, so we had a lot to catch up on--with the Yankee's winning as our backdrop. Go Yankees! From there, I headed home and met M. out for a (very) late dinner--even by our standards!
The Yankee's game was FREEZING! Luckily, my friend thought ahead and brought a blanket and handwarmers!! Please ignore the chipped manicure...nail maintenance is not my forte... 

Saturday was beautiful in NYC. Spring flowers bloomed, and, though nasally aggravating, the beautiful white circular flower pollen billowed through the air as M., Frenchie and I walked to the Central Park Zoo to meet M.'s mom who was in for a Broadway show. Frenchie was so excited to see M.'s mom that he wagged his tailless stump so hard that his lower body seemed unhinged from his head. After meeting her, M., Frenchie, and I strolled back home slowly, stopping for a coffee along the way and enjoying the easy Saturday morning conversation that unravels carelessly when the weekend stretches languidly out before you.
One of the many things that I love about living in NYC is that there are always surprising opportunities that seem to pop up when you least expect them...One of M.'s friends was in town for a family reunion and he has a cousin who apparently represents Lady Gaga or something and so...lucky M. and I were invited to Norwood Club on Saturday night. The website actually has a picture of a girl with her finger to her mouth shushing website visitors...yeah, totally unpretentious. Not that I really care so much about the elite members-only clubs of NYC, but it is always fun to have the chance to go and see what all of the fuss is about. Plus, of all of the clubs, I have always been most intrigued by Norwood, since it is supposedly a place for creative artists and such, unlike say the trendy Soho House, or the academic Harvard or Yale Clubs. However, in reality, the convening of "creative artistic minds" seemed pretty far from the inebriated, top 40 dancing fools who were actually there. Anyway, so, off we went on Saturday night to see what Norwood was all about! While M.'s friend's sister was more fascinated by the pseudo celebrity guests, I personally loved the decor and the entertaining opportunity for observation. In the same voyeuristic (and probably judgmental and condemning) Jacob Riis "How the Other Half Lives" fashion, I was positively fascinated by the antics of the club guests--including one man who (without a hint of irony) boasted to M. and I about his exploits both tasteless and trashy. M. and I had much fun re-capping the entire night on the way home.
Pictures were not allowed at the Norwood, so this is all of the documentation I have of our adventure...the basement of the townhouse-exciting, I know.

On a separate note: We also have found a great summer supper spot in BLT Fish, where we ate prior to our Gossip Girl style venture into the life of Manhattan's elite. I think we raved about that more than our experience at Norwood...delicious!

Sunday, we woke and made feta, pepper, and onion omeletes, drank coffee, poured over the Sunday edition of The New York Times, walked the dog up to our favorite neighborhood park and then attempted to do some of the work we had been putting off all weekend...which, for me, unfortunately meant that I did nothing other than post pictures to Pinterest and make a list of restaurants that I want to visit around the city this summer (list to follow later this week). Oops. I am going to pay for that this week when my deadlines crush me.
Sigh. Ahhh how I love the weekends...

Off to a busy week...but at least there is a light at the end of this graduate school tunnel...

2 comments:

  1. Pretty pics and sounds like a fun weekend! (Speaking of pics, why are we not Instagram friends yet??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! We must become Instagram friends...I think I looked for you though and didn't see you...let's get on that so I can have instant access to Sammy cuteness!

    ReplyDelete