Thursday, April 14, 2011

Malaria Pill Induced Excitement

Today, as I called my doctor to ask for a malaria pill prescription, I had a surge of excitement thinking about my forthcoming trip to Africa this summer. I have wanted to go forever and I am thrilled that it is now becoming a reality.  Unfortunately, much of my everyday discourse on Africa is very often linked to countries experiencing tragedies. I think of the United States' inaction in Rwanda and the ensuing genocide.  I think of the HIV/AIDS crisis and the pain of loss.  I think of the Democratic Republic of Congo and the peoples' struggle for independence and freedom from exploitation. I cannot wait to engage with Africa on a different level.  The diversity of the landscape looks awe-inspiring. Cape Town looks amazing. And don't even get me started on safaris...So. Freaking. Pumped. 
For once in my life, I don't even mind looking like a tourist if I get to drive around and see rhinoceros, elephants, lions, giraffes, and zebras. So...hand me binoculars, a t-shirt with the tour company screenprinted on it, and a camera with a lens as big as my head! Okay, well maybe I won't go that far but...
A recent read that I loved that was set in the Democratic Republic of Congo was Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible.  This book, which in a very Heart of Darkness kind of way, begins with characters entering Africa for purposes of educating the "natives," but is instead the story of a much more personal and transformative journey for the characters who enter with a mission and an air of superiority.  An excellent read.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Africa...how amazing...is there room for me in the back of the jeep? Just kidding..I'll wait and enjoy the pictures.

    ReplyDelete