Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Back to Reality...

The eighty degree weather today in New York City provided the perfect farewell to my break...after a picnic in the park (boy and dog in tow), a morning massage, an almond brioche from this adorable cafe, and the perfect read, I am feeling rejuvenated, refreshed, and as ready as I'll ever be to return to the daily grind.
Before I talk about my latest read, I wanted to mention that for anyone planning to head to Newport, Rhode Island in the near future, here are some inspirational photos from my recent trip there to celebrate my mom's birthday. Also, if you are looking for a delicious restaurant, I would definitely recommend The Mooring.  With its yummy cocktails, fresh seafood, and tantalizing bay views, it was tons of fun!
Today as I basked in the sun at one of my favorite NYC parks, I read the novel by Laura Kasischke, The Raising. While, like other reviewers have mentioned it does remind me somewhat of Donna Tartt's The Secret History, it has a style and plot all its own.  I think that the major similarity is merely that both are well-written and ironically more literary than most books published today.  The almost campy plot idea of a sorority sister tragically killed in a car accident who may or may not not really be dead is quickly forgotten about in what is really a beautifully composed novel that is anything but trite. That said, this is not a novel so abstruse that one can't fall into the suspense of the book--something that I always appreciate in sunny-day-in-the-park-picnic reading... 
Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back! Also glad you brought both "boy" and dog with you to the park. Great pics of Newport. I love mysteries and will put The Raising on my list....

    ReplyDelete