Sunday, February 5, 2012

Facelift

Unfortunately, my reading these days has been limited to graduate school work and books that I am teaching, so I have no new recommendations on the book front. That said, this weekend, I stumbled upon a lovely little New York City gem where I am now dying to take out-of-town-visitors! Since last weekend was tragically boring and devoted to doing work/planning for the new semester, we decided that it was time for some fun this weekend. The boyfriend and I are both museum people, so in addition to some dinner plans at a jazz restaurant downtown (on route to which I had a fun Gossip Girl sighting!) and a post-museum trip to a little wine bar on the Upper West Side, we decided to spend the afternoon at the New York Historical Society. After a lovely walk through Central Park, we arrived at the newly renovated museum. I had been to the museum pre-renovation and, let me tell you, this place has catapulted to a very high place on my NYC "Must Visit" list after its 65 million dollar renovation! In addition to adding a beautiful wine bar/restaurant that is gorgeously decorated (I am a sucker for white decor and glamorous chandeliers) and has a newly conceptualized menu, the museum has been updated to be more interactive, culturally relevant, and fun. 
Before touring the museum, there is now the option of a short film on the history of New York, which, I am not going to lie, made me tear a little during the September 11th portion, and ended with Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind." Again, cheap shots, but they totally worked on me. Favorite exhibits included: "Revolution! the Atlantic World Reborn" and "Urban Views: American Cities." The museum itself is architecturally beautiful, borders Central Park, and is across from The Natural History Museum. It is also dangerously close to Shake Shack! A definite must for those looking for a different museum than the usual suspects.  

No comments:

Post a Comment