Monday, February 28, 2011

sandy beaches, salty ocean waves, and a New York state of mind...

I have been on the West coast and now, after some leisurely time spent at the beach and in cafes reading, I feel sufficiently caught up on books.  I stumbled upon a lovely cafe for afternoon reading in sunny San Diego called Cafe 976.  Sun soaked tables amidst an Alice and Wonderland-esque garden with the ocean nearby...yes please.  After ordering a Mexican mocha and settling in at my little table buried in flowers and leafy plants, ironically, I fell into a book that contained some of the most realistic and captivating images of New York City that I have read in awhile. So much for getting away from the bustle of the city! For those looking for a great read, I would recommend Joseph O'Neill's Netherland.  
Both cities and human relationships can withstand quite a bit and he captures a variety of nuanced issues from immigration to terrorism to the difficulty of marriage through subtle and intelligent analogies.  Who knew I could be so interested in a book with extensive references to cricket?!
Happy reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment